www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No chapter numbers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pheraohn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: No chapter numbers? Reply with quote

When I play the DVD on my player, everything is listed as Chapter 1, which means I can't skip forward or backward among the demos with the chapter skip buttons. The only way I can navigate to a specific demo is through the menu. So far, this is the only downside I have noticed on this disc, but is it intentional, or is it just messing up with my player?

It would have been much nicer to be able to go to a particular demo by entering the chapter number directly. It also means I can't program a particular sequence of demos because I can't identify them individually by chapter.
phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bizarre. What is the brand and model of your DVD player? Also, has anyone else had this problem? The demos are definitely divided by chapter, though the numbers don't match up with the numbers in the booklet and on the back cover. The timecode isn't divided though, i.e. the program length is listed as the full ~2 hours on each side. That may be causing the problem. This will change if we get software that supports multiple disc titles.
Trixter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that is most bizarre behavior -- What player do you have?

Each side is a single VTS with a single PGC, so the logical layout is indeed a bit bizarre. This was the best program we could afford for authoring, and although it gave us a ton of flexibility (easter eggs, exact control over subpictures and navigation) it had this limitation. BUT that shouldn't stop your Next/Previous Chapter buttons from working -- they work on all the players I tested...
pheraohn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was wrong about Next/Prev not working, but it does display everything as Title 1, Chapter 1, so its impossible to program a sequence of demos; you have to manually skip around.

My DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS400D and this is the first DVD that I've ever had any sort of problem as far as chapter/title numbering and programming goes Crying or Very sad
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because it's the first DVD you've ever played with a single VTS and PGC.

We plan to author with different software next time, so hopefully this won't be an issue in the future.
pheraohn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind expanding the acronyms? I don't author DVDs, so I have no idea what you mean by "single VTS and PGC".
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTS = Video Title Set
PGC = ProGram Chain

Essentially, PGCs allow you to play assets (video clips, etc.) in any order you like, but since we only have one PGC, that's why we don't have a "play this video once then go back to chapter selection" screen.

Video Title Sets can hold multiple chapters and multiple assets, so typically you'd have a single VTS for the intro screen and main menu, and another VTS for the main program. So that's why the chapters are messed up, since we had to cram everything into a single VTS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: