www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Player
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustHouz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Player Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I'm just curious what DVD software you guys are using to play Mindcandy. My copy of WinDVD fails the "60 frames" test, but the version of PowerDVD I have seems to make the text "jumpy." It'll quickly shift a smidgen higher and then back lower. Is this normal/expected for Mindcandy? Or do I need to go in search of a better DVD playing program?

I use these players and it works great :
- Fusiosoft DVD Player v.3: a freeware player
- InterActual Player : provided with the Star Wars II DVD in Europe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Player Reply with quote

JustHouz wrote:

- Fusiosoft DVD Player v.3: a freeware player

Sorry, it's Fusionsoft and not fusio...
Trixter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Player Reply with quote

JustHouz wrote:

- Fusionsoft DVD Player v.3: a freeware player
- InterActual Player : provided with the Star Wars II DVD in Europe.

Actually, I tested these players and found them to also fail the "Flickerbox" test. In particular, I tested:

- Fusionsoft "XP" -- it looks like ripped binaries from both PowerDVD and Fraunhofer, but in any case it didn't pass the test
- InterActual Player 2.0 -- didn't pass Flickerbox either

So while they play the DVD, they do not play it at full quality.

PS: Just a quick reminder: Software DVD players were written to play back movies, which are progressive 24fps MPEG-2 files. When you feed them real 30i video (as opposed to FILM) MPEG-2 files, most do not reproduce them properly.
neptho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo: Long story short, Apple's DVD Player 3.2 under 10.1.x will work DIFFERENTLY than Apple's DVD Player under 10.2.x.

If you install ATI's October 2002 update under either OS 9, or 10.1.x, it will by default attempt to de-interlace your picture, and the flickerbox is not seen. You can turn these preferences on and off via ATI's settings panel, or the pulldown under OS9's menu from the Finder.

Under OS X 10.2.x, ATI's October 2002 update does not de-interlace, but I am unable to see the 'flicker' on my LCD, whereas an xvi proffered patch for DVD Player 3.2 will display the flicker via my old Ti/550's VGA port when used on a secondary screen.

For the PC folks: Yep, Trixter's info on PowerDVD is about all I've seen; ATI's rebadging of MasterScinema(sic), does not pass the flickerbox here, 7.1, 7.6, and the latest I installed earlier in the week. WinDVD didn't work, and neither did some eclectic package I found in Japanese which was basically a spyware loader (YAY, GATOR) which wrapped around Windows Media Player and used it's own internal functions.

- nep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: