www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where does all that food go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> Grocery Stores
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Where does all that food go? Reply with quote

Originally posted 2 September 1998 - dmw

I've always wondered where all the food in grocery stores goes when it reaches or comes close to its expiration date. Some probably goes to homeless shelters but obviously there is more food going bad then the homeless could possibly eat. It amazes me that grocery stores can make profits with all the overhead and food going bad. Anyone care to elaborate on the subject?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Various replies Reply with quote

Reply 1: Posted on 5 February 1999 by Shelly (shellly1205@earthlink.net)

Sometimes it's discounted and sold...
Other times, it's sent back to the manufacturers I think.
I wonder what THEY do with it...

Reply 2: Posted on 9 April 1999 by AARON ALCORN (mabrandt@swbell.net)

The food or food product is sent back to the manufacturer and the store receives about 3/4 the price of what the item would sell for at there store. If you ever go in the back of a grocery store there is a rack for damaged or out dated items and that's what they do with it

Reply 3: Posted on 27 January 2000 by Bob Josephus

CVS doesnt give damaged food back to Manufacturers, just throws it out.

Reply 4: Posted on 12 April 2001 by Ral

The food is usually returned to the distributor for a fraction of the price back, like Aaron said. But as for it being donated to the homeless, etc., that's illegal in California, I think. Don't know about other states.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
flyingember

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what it is. a lot of the stuff that the store sells with a date on it (like where you buy lunchmeats that they slice in the store) is tossed.

the rest tends to be sent back to the warehouse and from there the company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> Grocery Stores All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: