www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MindCandy Volume 1: PC Demos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: MindCandy Volume 1: PC Demos Reply with quote

This discussion board has been set up to allow you to post your thoughts, concerns, questions, gripes, etc. regarding the MindCandy DVD.

You don't have to be a registered user to post.

out,
-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
unregged

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't wait. hope it's all going well Confused (yes, I'm just impatient)
maz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: MindCandy Volume 1: PC Demos Reply with quote

Can't wait either Razz

Thank you (trix and dan and everybody else who was involved) soooo much for that DVD, when I saw those Premiere screenshots I knew *how* ridiculous my own private capture/encoding activities were Smile

Waiting for Vol.2 "PC Demo : THE FULCRUM" Smile
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad -- 2nd Reality was one of the more difficult ones, but there were a few where no editing was needed (RipRap comes to mind). Unfortunately, RipRap runs at an internal 70Hz timer, so scrolling isn't smooth, but I'm not sure anything could have been done about that without a Sony DSC-1024HD.

The "eyecandy" side was mostly flawless captures (no edits) once video levels and anti-aliasing was properly configured. Kasparov, for example, is a single edit (just the video). Some were annoying (I had to capture Mikrostrange about 11 times before I got enough non-stuttering parts to edit together) and others were minor (Tesla had some sync issues which I fixed). Still others were done in the quest for image quality (Gerbera's volumetric clouds kill your video card, so those sections were no AA and everything else was 2xAA or 4xAA).

Some of the more difficult edits were Unreal, Show, Panic, and Second Reality. Some edits were difficult not for capture issues but rather length issues (what to cut?), like Cronologia and Amnesia.
pife

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the DVD. Ordered. Waiting for Volume II ...
kern802

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Yeah! Reply with quote

I ordered my copy! I can't wait to receive it!

Please, everyone order your copy right away so that the producers will be able to bring us Volume 2!

Hornet, you guys kick so much ass!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered my copy.

Let me know if you need any help for Volume 2 if you decide to make one and if it is about amiga demos.

z5/Amiga Demoscene Archive
bb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

I ordered 5 copies. I didn't expect this to be so cheap.
They'll make great Christmas presents for my friends. :)
wilbur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: audiophonik? Reply with quote

Hey, I just got the announcement about the DVD.
One question though...
I see two options on the advance order page.
One is to order the "MindCandy Volume 1: PC Demos" for 16 dollars in the US. The other is to order "MindCandy Volume 1: PC Demos and audiophonik" for 25 dollars in the US. I may have missed it, but what is audiophonik and why is it 9 dollars more?
phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: audiophonik? Reply with quote

wilbur wrote:
I may have missed it, but what is audiophonik and why is it 9 dollars more?

audiophonik is an audio CD compilation put out in 1999 by Fusecon (where you are right now Smile )and Imphobia. More info here or here. If you've been following the demoscene for the past few years, you should recognize most of the artists, as they're pretty much all well established computer music makers. The style is mellow/light-rock/electronica in general, but still quite interesting.

Anyway, check out the links and some of the audio clips.

-andy
TheJanitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: I just pre-ordered! Reply with quote

I just ordered 4 copies. I hope you guys make enough money to buy some really awesome capturing equipment for Volume 2 Wink I'm going to give away three of these as christmas gifts!
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Capture equipment Reply with quote

TheJanitor wrote:
I just ordered 4 copies. I hope you guys make enough money to buy some really awesome capturing equipment for Volume 2 Wink I'm going to give away three of these as christmas gifts!

...When you receive the DVD I think you'll find Jim did an amazing job with what he had and he did spend several thousand dollars on various pieces of equipment for the project. You can listen to the audio commentary for some of the issues and Jim can elaborate on the "real" equipment if he wants. Suffice to say it is EXPENSIVE. Most of the difficulties were on the old school side.

as for the project...

Our goal is to pay for the various costs associated with creating the DVD (includes production, shipping DVD's to demo groups on the DVD, etc.), pay for Jim's equipment/SW required for the project and to fund the next DVD project.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Incommunicado^Science

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I´ve been in the scene since 1993 when I got my first pc and i can´t wait to see all those oldskool demos again (esp. CrystalDreamII and its awesome music). Of course i´ve got all the files but no computer to run them.One could say i sucked the entire hornet archive with my little 14.4kbps modem Smile.
I wish you all good for the future and hope that you earn the money you deserve for this fantastic project.

the totally impatient
Incommunicado / science

PS: the price is amazing. you could have charged twice as much and i would still have ordered it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ordered mine two days ago and already got it yesterday. Ha! Very Happy For those of you still waiting - the DVD is absolutely worth it.
Stebo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Mindcandy Vol2 Reply with quote

Congrats for this great DVD!

I just wondered: if Volume1 stands for PC-Demos, will Volume2 be Amiga-Demos or PC-Demos Part 2????

If you are going to do a second PC-DVD, this would be my suggestion for both sides of the disc:

Side One: More Oldschool

There are so many classic demos you had to omit in the production of the first DVD...

Contrast - Oxygene
Machines Of Madness - Dubius
Toasted - Cubic...
Fulcrum - Matrix
Hyperventilation - Byterapers
Boost - DSD
Seks - Orange vs. Cncd

and so on...

Side Two: 64ks becoming Demos

Farbrausch 8/19/...
H-Plus
We Are Cryonics
Death In Vegas

IMHO this is an interesting trend in the PC-Demoscene.

Best wishes from a German demo-lover/collector!
Stefan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: