www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Mindcandy comments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: My Mindcandy comments Reply with quote

Hi!

I received the Mindcandy DVD today, just finished watching it and here are my comments.

(Faults first)

The whine-department starts..

1) It seems in the "Second Reality", the credits-part is totally cut out - missing - gone - non-existent! What's this? I was really disappointed, since I had anxiously waited for that to complete my enjoyment of the demo. (I agree that it's nothing too spectacular but the demo didn't seem "whole" without it.

2) You seemed to have used compression (correct me if I am wrong) in the musics which kind of blurred some details away from the songs. I am not completely sure about this though, but something sounded a bit 'blurry' about "Nooon"'s "Stars - Wonders of the world".

3) My monitor sucks, so I still would prefer to see all the pixels clearly and with as much brightness as ever possible. Now everything seems blurred and individual pixels lost - of course I understand the limitations of DVD and all, so this is not really a whine to you, but about my sucky monitor. This may have of course affected my judgment about the visual side.

4) A part of the word "Crew" seemed missing in one Future Crew logo - but I am not sure if this is intentional or if you have cropped the picture a bit or something.

and of course

5) 'Modern' PC-demos are boring, dark, depressing, energy suckers with awful soulless noise instead of music. This is not really YOUR fault, of course :) But I almost couldn't watch at least a second of all A-side demos before pressing 'next' because of this before all my energy was drained. Luckily the B-side returned some of that energy.

But all that said, this is a great DVD, thanks! :)

I am really looking forward for the Amiga-specific Mindcandy .. and hopefully see some great demos that I have so many years wanted to see again. It was a wonderful experience to see 2nd Reality and Stars - Wonders Of The World again! (I think two best PC demos so far)

So, I have no regrets. I haven't watched any specials yet though. Thank you for making this DVD, I realise it must have been a huge amount of work and I respect this.

Also, I understand your plan about a mainstream-side. This world requires always so much money for anything great to be created.

There are SO many great Amigademos that I am hoping you can complete the Volume II since I don't think there are many that I will press the 'next' button because of.

(sorry for bad english, tired)

Thank you again for making such a DVD and thank you very much for making effort to create the second volume!

Sincerely,

Monk
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks very much for the compliments *and* criticism -- If it's justified, I can take it. Smile Let me try to address some of your concerns:

1. We removed the credits due to length constraints. In fact, we removed *all* credits except for Cronologia because the credits illustrated a classic oldskool scene.

2. Compression was Dolby Digital 2.0 ("AC3", stereo) at 224kbps. Normally authors encode 2.0 at 192, but I wanted to make sure nothing was lost. Stars was rendered with xmplay to eliminate noise and increase rendering quality (48KHz with splines vs. GUS's 44KHz linear), so any playback errors are due to that. My apologies; I tried to replace badly-rendered songs with originals (noise-filtered) whenever possible. I definitely used the analog version of the third movement of 2nd Reality because the demo itself was the only player that played it properly.

3. Individual pixels were indeed lost, even when I had *rendered* originals. This is due to the nature of MPEG-2 -- it's a real-world lossy algorithm. Only lossless algorithms would have preserved individual pixel detail, but even if that were possible with DVD, I couldn't render them all for obvious reasons. As to your monitor, I mastered MindCandy for a TV, so play it there!

4. We didn't *intentionally* crop anything. If something got cropped, it was by mistake.

5. We wanted vol1 to make money to fund future volumes. You have to have some sort of mainstream appeal to do that. And besides, in five to ten years these "modern" demos will be just as hard to run! Smile

Hope that helped...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: