www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The worst thing about Mindcandy....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gostar_baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: The worst thing about Mindcandy.... Reply with quote

... is the fact that it hasn't arrived yet. So what to do? I found our old swapper and, lo and behold, he had our old (Amiga) demos. I got hold of WinUAE, the rom and the adf's and saw my old demos/intros. MAN they suck Smile Granted, they are OCS (1987-89) but still, this is NOT how I remember them. I thought they were MUCH more colorful. Reminds me of the time I played Rally Speedway on a 64 emulator. Seems my memory adds color Smile Anyway, started talking about old demos and which ones were the ones leaving an impact. Red Sector Megademo (the one with the highscore list) was one. I think we got the demo from at least 8 sources, and you could see the way the demo had taken from the origin until they reached us. Very cool. TechTech (Sodan and some other guy's megademo) probably was the first wow demo I saw. I got it 2 days before I got my Amiga and I refused to believe it was over 600k (it migth not have been, memory isn't what it was).

However, the most important demo, ever, is the 1001 Crew's 64 demo where they remove the border for the first time. Now THERE is a demo that is begging for a commentary track. How on earth did they come up with the idea and then implementation of it? That was a thing that wasn't possible, at least that was the official line. Not that democoders care too much about what is possible or not according to specs....

And now I better check my mailbox to see if the DVD has arrived today so I can see PC demos from pre-97 when I got my first wintel box.
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: The worst thing about Mindcandy.... Reply with quote

nameless wrote:
... is the fact that it hasn't arrived yet. So what to do?

When did you order? What is your name?

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gostar_baiter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no. It is on the way. Ordered from geekstuff, and it was sent from the states some time ago. Just looking up old demos in the mean time Smile
Trixter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The worst thing about Mindcandy.... Reply with quote

nameless wrote:
this is NOT how I remember them. I thought they were MUCH more colorful.

Proper color in emulators is something that is usually worked on last. Any number of factors could be contributing to the discrepancy between your memory and what you're seeing in the emu. Did you have your Amiga hooked up to a television? If so, it has always been common that TVs oversaturate colors, while computer monitors do not.

Food for thought. Volume 2 will be captured from real Amigas using a process that produces clean S-video but with reduced chroma; to compensate, I will be using a proc amp at the time of capture to boost the chroma.
gostar_baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! Just saw on geekstuff.no that the discs has arrived in .no. Excellent! going to be a good weekend Smile
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: US Mail Reply with quote

nameless wrote:
YES! Just saw on geekstuff.no that the discs has arrived in .no. Excellent! going to be a good weekend Smile

It only took 1 week to get to Germany and 3-4 to get to Norway. Not sure what is going on there. Next time I'll use FedEx which only takes 4-5 days.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gostar_baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the USPS doesn't like us? Some sort of punishment for something? Might need to call in Oliver Stone.....
gostar_baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I NEED to call Oliver Stone. After 4 weeks crossing the atlantic, I was getting rather impatient for the 3 days the .no mail takes. And what happens on the third day? I get sent off to the hospital to yank out my appendix (Ok, the drugged me up and used a knife, but still...) Seems everything conspires to keep me from watching mindcandy. But now I have seen it, and it is great. Thank you for making it.
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: the wait Reply with quote

Oh, didn't we tell you...

"Waiting for MindCandy might be hazardous to your health." Personally producing it is more so...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: