www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amiga video Capture - question for Trixter

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Amiga video Capture - question for Trixter Reply with quote

@Trix: you stated in one posting that the capture from the Amiga will be done via S-VHS, is there no possible way that you could capture the RGB video that the machine produces? Are there no ways to grab RGB output? There have to be some capture cards, from FAST or some other company, that are able to.
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, RGB is not implemented the same way across computers and professional hardware devices. I haven't been able to find any hardware that captures RGB; only YCrCb. Even if I am wrong and a converter exists, the cost of that hardware is most likely beyond the scope of this project.

BTW, the capture will be S-Video, not S-VHS. S-VHS implies that we'll be recording everything to videotape first Smile.

If anyone knows of RGB capture hardware, please let me know -- even if it's way too expensive, I'd like to check around for local shops that may be willing to rent their hardware out.
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example: http://www.foresightimaging.com/PRODUCTS/hdp/irgb.htm

This device costs $1500, and although it supports AVI file creation, there is no guarantee of sync, or even a consistent duration between frames. RGB capture hardware is usually for things like industrial or medical applications, which is why the cost is so high (accuracy is important if you're operating on a patient Smile.
KithKanan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Wouldn't unlimited money be nice Reply with quote

If only you had a YPrPb capture card AND one of these, you'd be all set (w/rt capturing Amiga video) http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=KR%2DFC4042

Unfortunately, they're just a wee bit pricey Sad

Since the europeans appear to have more of these issues (SCART can carry both RGB and YUV component it appears, but most devices probably don't) it might be possible to get something that would meet the Amiga 15kHz RGB -> YUV conversion needs more inexpensively there.

I'm not sure if this would help, but look here: http://www.syncblaster.com/Syncblaster%20Component%20to%20RGB%20Transcoder.html -- the "Keene Electronics" online store link from that site has it for about £89.99 (though who knows what shipping would run)
Trixter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the links. Unfortunately, both of these convert RGB to YCrCb -- and you're assuming that a YCrCb capture device is inexpensive -- it's not. Sad The cheapest one I think I can get my hands on is a Miro/Pinnacle DC50, but those are 5 years old and incredibly hard to find on ebay (even harder to find in PAL) for less than $200. And that's just a longshot... The only device I *know* would be quality enough to do the job is a Matrox Digisuite, but those cost about $2000. (They are SWEET boards, though... they can handle DV50, which is literally two DV chips ganged together for near-lossless video and 4:2:2 color subsampling. Drool...)

Worse still, I'm not sure what devices, if any, can deal with the "double-rate half-resolution progressive" signal (even fields only at double the rate) that Amigas put out in most demo modes. My Matrox RT2000 couldn't sync to it, so unfortunately I can't use the same high-quality hardware I used for Volume 1. The search continues...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: