www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holy Crap, DVD of the Year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviathant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Holy Crap, DVD of the Year Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm a little biased, and I haven't even recieved the thing. I just strolled by Maz-Sound.com today cuz I haven't been there in a long time, and I read about this DVD. I missed the Slashdot event because I was in Australia proposing to my girlfriend and stuff, but that's okay because I also missed the wait afterwards.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this DVD. I ordered it from Maz-Sound before even looking around, not really thinking to check if there was a US distribution point, but I don't really care.

Heh, back when I was 14, I never really listened to radio all that much, didn't own any CDs. I would tape tracker songs off my computer and listen to that. And I would always show off the demo files I downloaded to my friends, even if on the central Pennsylvania BBSs I frequented were usually a year late in the distribution chain, they were still thoroughly mindblowing. I'm so glad someone put this kind of effort into compiling these things onto a nice DVD.

I forget where I read about someone comparing the tracker and demo scene to early jazz clubs, but that's the kind of proud feeling I've always felt about the scene, even if I was mostly an outsider looking in, fiddling here and there.

I'll probably be back after I actually receive the DVD to rave about all the cool shit on there, just as everyone else here has :P

Thanks soooo much!!

--Leviathant
http://www.theninhotline.net
Trixter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, what a glowing review from someone who hasn't even gotten it yet! Smile Thanks!

I used to do EXACTLY the same thing: Download MODs off of BBSes, tape them using Trackblaster, then later ProMod, then WOWII... those were the days. I still have some incorrect versions of songs burned into my head because ProMod was such a horrible player but I never knew how they were supposed to sound Smile
Leviathant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Bwahaha :) Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm still a stickler for getting the same kinds of sounds out of these old tracker songs as they used to put out. The plugins for Winamp still get a few very important (to me!!) things wrong.

One thing I though would have been cool for the DVD, although really wasn't necessary, would have been getting new hi-fidelity takes of the older demo soundtracks. I sat down with a copy of Reason one day and tried to flesh out the music for the spaceship bits of Unreal last year, but never really got around to finishing it. That song's permanently burned in my head.

The DVD arrived and I was most impressed - which is good because of all the self-hype I had built up for it. The Demographics featurette was a very nice touch, because I probably couldn't explain demos to the unfamiliar nearly that well. The Side One demos were all new to me (my spare time all but died when I started college in late 1997) and I found my brain pulling a funny on me - despite the polish and new technology, a lot of the flashier new demos didn't pull as much wow out of me as the older ones. That's not to say there weren't a good number of really wild ones... I particularly liked the more subtle advances, for instance the very last one on side one. Yeah, so the graphics weren't mind blowing, but the cinematography was absolutely tops. That got my attention more than sliding artwork in and out of the sides of things.

That's not to say that any of it was disappointing, not the least! I sat for hours watching this stuff on the day I got it, and to me it's got good replay value. And I know a few friends whom I want to sit down in front of the TV and play this for. And none of us do any chemical enhancements :P

Perhaps the coolest thing about this DVD is a little more abstract, the DIY nature of it, and the fact that it was put together by folks familiar with demos... losing my train of thought.

Watching demos as the PC evolved spoiled me, I think. Games for the PC took ages to catch up with the kind of graphics displayed in demos, and I always felt shorted. Similarly, when I'm checking out a DVD and its interface sucks, I feel shorted. The creativity and effort that went into this DVD makes me feel justified in feeling shorted by other DVDs that are produced with the backing of industry giants and established studios. Fantastic job, very inspiring.
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rousing complement -- thank you!

BTW: This the same Leviathan who attended Paul's parties with me and tracked music for a certain Baygles compo demo? If so, email me -- we have much to catch up on.
Leviathant

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: I haven't been asked that one in a while :) Reply with quote

Sorry, that's Leviathan, I'm Leviathant. I encountered that identity problem probably a year after I started distributing tracked works online. How was I to know there was someone named Leviathan who liked to track stuff? Heehee. Of course, the whole reason there's a "t" at the end of my name is to make it a unique string - I've always prided myself on the fact that I could hit up a search engine for my handle and know that every result will in some way be at worst very closely related to me.

Keep up the good work. Even though I only saw Amiga demos at the occasional computer show, I'll probably pick up the second volume DVD just from how cool the first one was. Thanks for all your hard work :)

--Leviathant
http://www.theNINhotline.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: