www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second Reality in Dolby Surround?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Second Reality in Dolby Surround? Reply with quote

On the version of Second Reality I had, the opening credits included an "In Dolby Surround" logo, and I was always curious whether this worked or not.

Now I actually have a surround decoder, but the demo on the DVD doesn't include this screen. Was it removed intentionally? Has the surround sound been decoded (I notice the demo tracks are already in 3-channel sound)?
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Dolby Stereo" being removed was a requirement from Dolby in order to get the Dolby Digital trademark license. The entire disc is technically Dolby Digital (AC3) 2.0, which means a left and a right channel.

The original audio still has a pseudo-flange in it, so if you have a Dolby surround decoder, there is a chance it will kick in and play the surround track (which is only in one place: The intro ships flying into the foreground).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed, the ships really come flying from behind.
Most of the demos do "work" in fact when enabling dolby surround on your receiver. The sound of the demos really fills the room, too bad none of the musicians wanted to do a real 5.1 track (idea for next volume?).
Mit2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixter wrote:
The "Dolby Stereo" being removed was a requirement from Dolby in order to get the Dolby Digital trademark license. The entire disc is technically Dolby Digital (AC3) 2.0, which means a left and a right channel.

dang, there were a LOT of legal hurdles to create the DVD -__-

what a sad, sad world
Steltek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too can confirm what the previous guest said, the starship can be heard flying in on the rear channel when playing the original demo on a Dolby Pro Logic capable sound system.

I would've liked to see the offscrollers on the DVD though, especially since they contain my favourite part of the music.
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about that. They are 13 minutes long, and even at a lower bitrate they would have prevented one of the demos from fitting on that side. So, which demo would you have omitted on the oldskool side to include the credits? Smile

There were other limitations too, like not doing credits for any of the other demos (except Cronologia, but that's because it had demo effects in it), and also because we were using an authoring package lacking branching support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: