www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just wanted to thank the creators of this great DVD.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Just wanted to thank the creators of this great DVD. Reply with quote

What a fantastic production this is. I really enjoyed both sides of the DVD, and especially the 'Demographics' documentary. Also I have to say that David Poves provided lightning-quick delivery here in the UK - ordered on a Friday and received the DVD on Monday.

For anyone who's wondering, it plays great on a PAL Playstation 2 & RGB Scart lead. This is on a 5 year old crappy Matsui tv Smile You have to use an Action Replay or DVD RegionX to get around the green-screen effect that usually happens when you try to use an RGB cable to watch DVDs on a Playstation.

Anyway cheers guys... looking forward to the next one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must also speak up and say ROCK ON!@ For years I've admired Trixter and the boys at Hornets work on hornet.org for providing a stable environment for such a long time. And now of course for this.

I first hear about it on scenemusic.net. Along with listening to nectarine at work everyday, and this DVD, I just can't escape the demoscene! Even when I've tried to distance myself in the last few years.

I actually probably owe Trixter even more thanks, boxotrix ring a bell? My first dial-up i-net access and my old groups first homepage. Thanks!

Oh yeah, will we ever see a Hornet demo on a DVD anytime soon?! Smile

Psst, hey Trixter? Got a copy of Baygles from Heaven laying around anywhere? Can't find it anywhere.

Troll
Trixter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Psst, hey Trixter? Got a copy of Baygles from Heaven laying around anywhere? Can't find it anywhere.

Psst: A hornet demo *is* on the DVD. Smile Read my credits on the oldskool side at the bottom to find it.

As for Baygles from Heaven, yes I still have a copy. Someday I'll be able to dig it up and post it online, but it's a sorry mess...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I first hear about it on scenemusic.net. Along with listening to nectarine at work everyday, and this DVD, I just can't escape the demoscene! Even when I've tried to distance myself in the last few years.

Thanks for mentioning that site... I didn't know a thing like this existed! I'm listening all day to Nectarine now. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixter wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Psst: A hornet demo *is* on the DVD. Smile Read my credits on the oldskool side at the bottom to find it.

As for Baygles from Heaven, yes I still have a copy. Someday I'll be able to dig it up and post it online, but it's a sorry mess...

Hmm, I'll admit I haven't exactly sat down and gone through the dvd with a fine toothed comb, and mostly watched it on psx2. I'll have to check that out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, ok you're right. There is a Hornet demo there Smile I think I only saw that on my old dx4 100. So never did I see the bouncing duck so smooth, kinda forgot about that demo. Thanks for the tiip!

That font was impossible to read on my tv so I had dismissed most of the text on the first run through...

Troll
Trixter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was sort-of the point Laughing
Father Time

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: A HUGE Thanks to the Production Crew! Reply with quote

Like many of you out there, I spent my teenage years coding intros and demos for the C64. I never really made the switch over to participate in the PC or Amiga scenes, but I've always casually followed them both.

Over the years I've been through countless PC upgrades, multiple address changes and even a house fire, but somehow I've managed to save quite a few of the demos that have inspired awe in me. It's no secret that maintaining prestine boot environments for the old-skool DOS demos is a chore, and since I'm not one to keep old hardware around for nostalgic purposes (Except a boxed C64 of course), I basically gave up on going any further back into my demo collection than my oldest Win32 stuff.

I got my copy of MindCandy from Amazon and now I can finally see ALL of my favorites from Statix and Future Crew and everyone else again! Being from New Jersey and not living on a big budget, I never made it out to any of the parties/compos as a kid. So it was really great to hear the voices, and in some cases see the faces of, those people whos work I've admired so much for so many years. The featurette and commentary are both interesting and insightful! The side-one stuff is great too combining a perfect blend of the demo scene history makers and todays contemporary designers.

You probably don't even need to hear someone else say it, but... THANKS A MILLION for saving my the hastle of dusting off UniVBE floppies and memory managers! ...and Cudos to the whole production team for making this possible!

Now I think I may even have to finally buy tickets to this years ASM. I'll never forgive myself if I don't make it out there at least once!

-Darrell
aka: Father Time of Havok & UCF
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A HUGE Thanks to the Production Crew! Reply with quote

Father Time wrote:

Now I think I may even have to finally buy tickets to this years ASM. I'll never forgive myself if I don't make it out there at least once!
-Darrell

Ah yes, UCF...I remember you guys...and ESI. Ah, those were the days. Lots of amazing and unique games.

I went to my first and only Assembly in 1993 as the PC demos were just beginning to become impressive. It was what was being done with the C-64 demos which really blew me away since that was the computer I "grew-up" with.

I'd feel so outta place at one of those parties today...

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so sure: There are still some oldskool compos going on, and even if there aren't the oldskool room at last year's ASM was a great place to hang out.

Some of the "scene spirit" is still alive in some of the wacko compos like cell phones and PDAs. When I saw footage of a demo on a cell phone I almost died. Smile And of course all 64K compos kick major ass and always will -- that's where you seperate the men from the boys.

Innovation and good times are still alive and well, but sometimes you have to dig for them.
Father Time

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Recalling the C64 Reply with quote

Quote:

Ah yes, UCF...I remember you guys...and ESI. Ah, those were the days. Lots of amazing and unique games.

In those days I spent more time looking at intros and demos than playing any of the games... I just couldn't get over the fact that some kid like me was able to express themselves on my computer screen from clear accross the world... I Learned 6510 from the programmers reference guide, bought mapping the 64 and I was hooked...

...BBS's, snail mail euro marked demo packages, phone phreaks, 0-day warez, intros, no sleep, ad nausem... Ahhh but the amazing VIC and SID still live on..

-Darrell
phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there really weren't too many true oldskoolers in the "oldskool area" at ASM02.. mostly PC guys who didn't want to be around gamers. Smile

But I managed to get access into the secret lair.. the oldskool compo jury room! A big TV, with Vic20s, C64s, and old Amigas everywhere.. you woulda been in heaven, Jim. Smile Of course, it's better when more people bring their old machines to enter the compos, like at Mekka/Symposium (rip).

There's still a place where old NTSC C64 scene farts write to each other.. http://books.dreambook.com/coolhand/driven.html (linked from http://starbase.globalpc.net/driven/)

-phx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: