www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electric Gruyere

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omasse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Electric Gruyere Reply with quote

I was looking at your technical page on demodvd.org during lunch and I magically went back a few years when I stumbled upon the following statement:

A few demos can be patched to be "capture-friendly" (Electric Gruere, some jmagic demos)

Well guys, I really wonder how you could know that considering that Electric Gruyere was unreleased. Unreleased to the public, that is... unless you've been able to pull a few strings. Smile Too bad it didn't make it on the DVD as it would have been interesting to see this rare artefact again.

I think I can speculate on at least one reason why DCB never released it: it probably crashed on anything faster than the original compo machine (486-80?). One of the NAID organizers tried to play it a year later on the P100 compo computer, some DCB members who were there went berzerk saying it wouldn't work, but the guy executed it anyway and it crashed after a few seconds. Those DCB guys... they were something... they spent NAID 1996 chasing after TV cameras. A TV crew came in our class to take some pictures and ask questions to our burnt out coders who had burning coffee for over 48 hours and they followed them in, laid down and prentended they were sleeping!

Olivier S. Masse
phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric Gruyere is on the NAIDorabilia CD-ROM which was released 4 years ago. Can anyone get it running anymore? Probably not (I managed to on my P2-450, had to set the GUS to 220/7/1 though). Will it ever find its way onto one of our DVDs? Hmm, maaaybe. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of that CD, Andy. That's a great initiative to immortalize history. Too bad I don't have the right computer anymore to watch these (some still work surprisingly well, but not all).

If I remember correctly, I think the 1996 rules stated that if a demo wasn't released sometime after the competition, the NAID organizers would release it anyway, probably to prevent the same thing happening again. I don't know what the "release" rules were for 1995, if any. But didn't DCB got irritated when they saw that their demo got out to the world anyway?

Not releasing that demo wasn't really cool in my book. Maybe they didn't feel it was good enough to their standards, I don't know. But I would understand them to be upset.

Just my two cents.

Olivier S. Masse[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, we were not "chasing after TV cameras". some organizer was constantly refering them to us. pretty fun though.
i do remember faking to sleep in a room.
we didn't release electric gruyere because the gus irq is hardcoded (it's 7 if i remember correctly). we were ashamed of ourselves that we were (still are) so lazy. it also requires an indecent amount of conventional ram.

also we don't mind at all that the demo got out. we never get irritated. =)

snib
Trixter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Snib!

No matter, I was able to unpack it and patch it to 240 IRQ 5, easily done as you know Smile

We may contact you at some point in the future to use it in a DVD -- make sure Phoenix has your email!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trixter!

cracking demos? =)
I think Phoenix has my e-mail; I'll check with him whenever I see him on #trax. electric gruyere on a dvd? =)

snib
phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And make sure your email is the same 10 years from now, when we finally manage to make another PC demo DVD. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: