www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

video capture of MC DVD .. mind reposting or discussing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mit2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: video capture of MC DVD .. mind reposting or discussing? Reply with quote

would you mind reposting the article you had up on either demodvd or mindcandydvd? i'm wanting to capture a few intros just for myself and was just curious some of the techniques you used (i wish someone would make some interim driver that'd dump DX/OGL to BMPs at 30 or 60fps as i'm quite sure groups wouldn't want to write a version of the intro for me that'd dump to BMP).

reason i ask is my GF4Ti4200 and (generic) Radeon 7200 have horrid video out (composite and SVHS, altho composite looks better on the Radeon) and to make matters worse, my miniDV cam adds a strage dot crawl or something which adds to the distraction.

are there inexpensive alternatives (under $80ish), like an ATI-made Radeon with component/s-vhs out or something?
Trixter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article needs some work, but I can certainly give you some advice. I'll free-associate based on what you wrote...

Interim driver: Believe it or not, someone is working on this at this moment, and it works partially for OpenGL demos. The trick is to hook all the timer interrupts, because otherwise you'll be dumping frames in realtime, when you in fact want to dump frames in real-demo-time. I'll post more when the tool gets a bit more refined.

I captured most windemos on a GF3 TI 500 and GF4 TI 4400 and the S-video output was quite usable. It needed a tiny bit of post-processing, but was otherwise pretty good.

When you say your Radeon looks better in composite, you must be making a mistake or missing something important. It doesn't look better -- maybe you have a cable problem? In any case, the composite signal itself is what is causing your "strange dot crawl", not your DV cam. If you hook your DV cam up via S-Video, it will look better *and* not have crawl.

There is nothing inexpensive that converts VGA to component. Our scan converters were had for $250 and $1500. Even more expensive are capture solutions that accept component! We have hardware (now) that can output component, but capture cards that accept component are either old and outdated and not practical to use in a long form scale (Pinnacle DC50+) or are outdated and cost large amounts of money (Matrox Digisuite) or are professional-grade capture solutions that cost WAY TOO MUCH MONEY ($50,000 and up).

Re-investigate S-Video and your boards. You must have had a bad cable or something. Eliminate composite from the equation *completely*, not even on the TV you are using to watch it. Composite is evil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: