www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD -> DivX
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
datadisrupter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: DVD -> DivX Reply with quote

Before you all crucify me, listen out to what I have to say here...
Fact is that I don't think I know of a single movie on DVD that isn't on-line right now, be it on kazaa, newsgroups or somewhere else. Just try typing down a movie name on one of those 'search engines' and you'll strike gold on your search.
My question towards this matter is, do you think that in the case of this happening to MindCandy, which I hope not, it will drive some people away from buying the actual thing? I know that this is a very specific item we're discussing here but, people that don't really know the demoscene and just want to take a 'peek' will most certainly be satisfied with the DivX and probably end up never buying the DVD.

I really hope that the DVD is copy protected, as well as it can be for so long of course.
phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DVD -> DivX Reply with quote

No, the DVD is not copy protected, but it wouldn't make much of a difference if it were. Those who are into ripping and copying use software that decrypts copy protection. In fact, it won't be long before such software hits the shelves at stores (until it's pulled off by lawsuits, I'm sure).

So, if people decide to spit on us for two+ years of hard work and endless dedication to the scene by copying the disc, they will still be missing out on:

- the 12-page color booklet detailing all the demos
- the cover with fthr's awesome art
- the convenience of a double-sided disc (double-sided DVD-R's are hard to find, so they'd most likely have to use two single-sided DVD-R's)
- whatever extra freebies come in the mail (stickers, postcards, etc.)

I don't know about you guys, but I'd either want the whole package, or I wouldn't even bother checking it out.

If we find out lots of people are copying the disc, and we don't earn our production costs back, we won't make any more volumes. It's that simple. Sceners may be comfortable pirating software from corporate giants, we'll see how comfortable they are pirating from their own kind.

-andy
datadisrupter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I recently found out that some DVD's are encoded in a way which the so called 'DVD rippers' can't get to, hence my question on whether or not MindCandy was copy protected.

2. Undoubtedly, the 'hole pakage' is what all demoscener's are looking forward. It's like remaking all these demos into something brand new and never before seen, whilst preserving a great sence of nostalgia for most sceners. That's why I think every demoscener will want to buy this DVD.

3. I really respect what you guys have done for the scene and I'll most likely support iniciatives such as these everytime I can. I'm sure a hole 'legion' of sceners is out there too and agrees with me on this.

4. I bought the DVD already and can hardly wait for it to drop throught my mailbox. I was even hoping to get lucky and get it befor the end of next week but I don't think that'll happen... Some friends of mine have already asked me to get DVD's for them too so I'll be ordering at least 3 more next week. Razz
Trixter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, anyone who rips to DivX will be automatically HALVING the motion quality. In simple terms, our DVD is 60 frames per second, but DivX can only handle 30 frames per second. So any DivX rip -- EVEN AT DVD BITRATES -- will be of a drastically lesser quality.

Yes, we do think of these things. Smile

Besides, anyone ripping will be unpleasantly surprised to see that the entire thing is a single program chain, which is annoying Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a poor (well...) student, but I know what to support. I have really no big problems leeching a few DVD-Rips or so, but I NEVER would download a mindcandy rip. I see the whole work in the project and I like to support the people who realised it and also I'm still waiting for Mindcandy II Smile

Data Disrupter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Frame rates Reply with quote

Well I'm honestly glad to hear that Smile
One of the things I've not yet fully understood is that I always thought that NTSC had aprox. 29.998 frames per second, or something like that, so how come MindCandy will display 60 frames on my TV?! I have a couple of NTSC DVD's and haven't figured it out yet to what frame rate do they play...
Anyway, I'm hoping all my questions will go away next weekend O=)

Data 'fingers-crossed' Disrupter
datadisrupter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Pay attention damn it! Reply with quote

Guess I should have read this again hey?! Razz

http://www.demodvd.org/technical

"NTSC video is traditionally represented as 640x480 at 29.97 frames per second, with each frame consisting of two interlaced fields that actually make up two discrete images (so the "framerate" is really 59.94 fps -- this is why live events on videotape seem more than twice as smooth as live events captured on film, because they are). If you initialize VGA hardware to 320x240, it produces 60 images a second which maps almost exactly into NTSC video (59.94 images a second). "

There. That cleared things up for me, hope it does (again maybe) for everyone else Wink
Sesse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "single program chain" shouldn't be much of a problem, given that the DVD has (and must have) sane chapter splits :-)

Top three reasons why one would buy the DVD and not pirate it would be (IMHO):
- Giving something back to the DemoDVD team, who really has done a great job! :-)
- Getting a convenient DVD with great quality instead of having to download a lot of stuff, split it into multiple DVD-Rs (if you have a DVD-burner, that is -- if not you would probably be limited to playing it via your PC in some way, and a TV easily beats that :-) ) and generally messing around. $16 (_including_ shipping and handling) is way below what most new DVDs cost anyhow.
- Getting something `physical' -- the cover looks neat in my bookshelf ;-) The booklet is well-designed too, but perhaps not as interesting. I still don't really know where I'll place my sticker :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesse wrote:
The "single program chain" shouldn't be much of a problem, given that the DVD has (and must have) sane chapter splits Smile

Top three reasons why one would buy the DVD and not pirate it would be (IMHO):
- Giving something back to the DemoDVD team, who really has done a great job! Smile
- Getting a convenient DVD with great quality instead of having to download a lot of stuff, split it into multiple DVD-Rs (if you have a DVD-burner, that is -- if not you would probably be limited to playing it via your PC in some way, and a TV easily beats that Smile ) and generally messing around. $16 (_including_ shipping and handling) is way below what most new DVDs cost anyhow.
- Getting something `physical' -- the cover looks neat in my bookshelf Wink The booklet is well-designed too, but perhaps not as interesting. I still don't really know where I'll place my sticker Smile

.. not to mention that buying the dvd makes it more likely that more of this stuff will be made Smile
Sesse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
.. not to mention that buying the dvd makes it more likely that more of this stuff will be made Smile

Yeah, of course, but that was more or less implicit in the first point. Smile
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesse wrote:
I still don't really know where I'll place my sticker Smile

Pssst. We only printed up 250 of those stickers. Only about a dozen are left. I don't think we will print any more...

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sesse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dmw"]Pssst. We only printed up 250 of those stickers. Only about a dozen are left. I don't think we will print any more...[/quote]

Ooh, exclusive stuff? Perhaps on my case or something, then -- given that I've already got it signed on one side, I'll probably not throw it away for quite some time :-)
datadisrupter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Stickerzzzz! Reply with quote

Hey no fair! I bet everyone out there would have wanted one Razz
Indeed the design of the booklet and cover is great!
I've seen the entire DVD by now and in some demos, especially on fast parts, I can see the difference between 60fps (on my television set) and the 30fps I get playing it on the computer (go figure!).
To sum things up, DivX sucks, MindCandyDVD is here to rule!
ps: go buy some more now! Mr. Green
KithKanan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

datadisrupter wrote:
I've seen the entire DVD by now and in some demos, especially on fast parts, I can see the difference between 60fps (on my television set) and the 30fps I get playing it on the computer (go figure!).

I noticed this too, which is why I went down to the local LAN gaming center and watched a good half the DVD on their 60in HDTV with my friend who works there. He also ordered MC, but later than I did so his didn't show up today.

Once I got home, this disc got me to hook my Hollywood+ hardware decoder back up since it shows proper 60hz.

The easter eggs are pretty awesome too, I think I've found all of them though only the cheating way (my H+ supports direct chapter seek, perfect for 'exploration'). But hey, isn't cheating what demos are all about? |wink|

-Mike
ivses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Cheapest price for Europe Reply with quote

I am one of the distributors for Europe and while talking with some people on the IRC about the DVD one of them was already talking about making a copy of it.

For the price of the DVD (about 20 Euros shipping included) I think that getting a copy instead of the real thing makes no sense at all.

In the following months all of the stamped DVDs will be sold. And in 2 years time it will be something that very few people will own. The oldest demo scene CD that I have got is Freedom. I think that owning a copy instead of the original wouldn't produce me the same feelings after 7 years.

Regards,
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: