www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

capture process?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: capture process? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm interested to know how the DVD team actually went about capturing the demos to movie files i.e. what hardware & software was used for capturing, what file formats/codecs were used, what technical challenges (if any) did you encounter, what capture tips & tricks did you learn that you can share etc.

Ian.
phoenix

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this information is available in the "Production Notes" section of the DVD, which, if you have this interest, you hopefully own. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, great! My copy is on it's way now Smile
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any specific questions, email me privately at trixter@despammed.com. I'd be happy to give you pointers.
porjo (Guest)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Got my DVD today. Wow! First thing that struck me was how professional the whole thing was. It is clear to me what an incredible amount of time & energy has been put into it. Big congrats to you guys, especially Trixter Smile

I found the production notes. Thanks for including them - they do give a good amount of detail. It would have been nice to have some stills or video clips of you actually at work. I'm a newbie when it comes this sort of thing (I'd never heard of 'scan convertor' before) so I'll have some reading to do Wink

I haven't finished watching the demos yet, so I won't comment but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
Trixter

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it so far. We all worked hard, not just myself, so kudos go to the entire team: Stony for the menus, graphics, and insightful commentary on Dutch demos, Phoenix for being PR and contact man (tedious work, much appreciated!), Dan for coordinating all of the business details and the full-color booklet, and Jeremy for the great featurette.

A "scan converter" is something that literally converts raster scanning from one frequency & amplitude to another -- in our case, it converted the 31KHz (and higher) scanning of VGA to the 15KHz scanning of TV. It's a VGA->TV converter, in simpler terms. For the first volume, I used some tricks in addition to a traditional (crappy) scan converter; for the next volume, we have broadcast-quality equipment that I am setting up this week to begin production.

If you have any questions, email or reply in the forum, I'd be happy to help. My shortest short advice: Try to capture from a VGA card that supports TV output; it's the cheapest way to get good results. And always capture via S-Video!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: