www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noise Reduction On Amiga Output

View previous topic :: View next topic  
addresssearch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Noise Reduction On Amiga Output Reply with quote

Just seen this blog entry at http://www.demodvd.org/blog

Quote:

Jan 7, 2005 3:10 am: The line-level converter came today and it did the trick! Without it, levels were too low and during recording I was saturating about 11 or 12 bits of all 16 bits of dynamic range. But with it, I am saturating 15-16. Of course, this raises the noise floor to around -60dB, but since 8-bit audio cannot mathematically exceed a dynamic resolution of -48dB, I'll just do a noise cut at -48. Woohoo!

The Amiga has 2 8-bit converters per channel, and each of which has a 6-bit attenuator. The theoretical dynamic range is therefore 6 * (8+6+1) = 90dB. Of course the output is quite noisy, but it's much more than 48dB.

I assume it's too late now, but hopefully someone will have pointed this out already...
Trixter

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still clipped at -48db because I couldn't find a single demo that actually took advantage of that entire dynamic range. On every demo I measured, noise/silence floor was between -40 and -46.

Now, using Delitracker and the "14-bit" plugin, I *did* get some better resolution. But no demos use that technique; I did it just as a test to verify your info.

If it's any consolation, only levels lower than -48db were clipped. I did NOT sweep the entire audio with some sort of frequency-analyzing noise reduction... just a simple clip of the noise floor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: