www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MindCandy Volume 1: PC Demos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ciaran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stebo, volume 2 is almost certainly going to be Amiga demos. There's a long thread in this forum which talks about it. Smile
Snibble

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: enormousse Reply with quote

Absolutely essential, enormous DVD that makes me want to code again. ; )
Fantastic job, guys!

Snibb' (who's going to order a bucket full of mindcandy)
Trixter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Snibb!!!!

Maybe next volume we can put some DCB in as a easter egg Smile
Snibble

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: dCb's egg Reply with quote

Trixter,

dCb on dvd sounds wonderful to me, especially as an easter egg! Is there still a machine out there that runs Gruyere though? Wink

Snibb'

PS: nice to see that you're still alive and kickin' (as we say here) Smile
phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zut alors, vive le Snibb!! You know how many years I've been waiting for The Poutine Vortex? Smile Too bad there won't be a Coma 4 to meet up at.

I'm confident in Jim's ability to get Electric Gruyere to work, heh. I had it running on my P2-450, but not yet on my Athlon 1.4 (I just haven't tried hard enough Smile ).

-phx
jtfoe1974

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for the great work, I really like the great quality and the nice audio commentary (at least for most demos). I was a bit disappointed by the audio commentary for 2nd Reality because it has no connection to the running demo, it's like some commentary for itself.

Another thing I dislike about the DVD is that the demos come too close to each other. One demo is hardly finished and the next scene is from another demo. It takes some time to realize that this was the ending of the last demo.
I would have preferred if the demos could be played one-by-one and then an option "Play All" (like in the Lord of the Rings SEE bonus DVDs).

I really loved 16-minute-featurette, this is really a great production. Done very well with lots of good information in it. BTW: Why was "3DMark 2001" running on the right PC when Trixter talks and not some "scene"-demo? Wink

Anyways: Keep up the good work, I'm impatiently waiting for Volume 2. Smile
Snibble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Poutine vortex and flying burnes Reply with quote

Phoenix !!!

It is indeed a shame that:
a) no poutine vortex has been created so far
b) no COMA 4 party was ever organized for us to get together again and discuss "3D-accelerated" fly trough demos... Wink

How have you been ? Smile

Snibb (still coding!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Got the Disc in Toronto Reply with quote

Thought I would let people ordering from canada know what the customs charges are;
GST-$1.83
PST-$2.09
Handling fee-$5.00 (BLEH!)

TOTAL-$8.92
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Got the Disc in Toronto Reply with quote

cRoN wrote:
Thought I would let people ordering from canada know what the customs charges are;
GST-$1.83
PST-$2.09
Handling fee-$5.00 (BLEH!)

TOTAL-$8.92

Sorry to hear that Crying or Very sad

It does seem that not everyone is getting charged...but some are. Someone told me the cut off is around $12/$13. I keep thinking there was some NAFTA thing going on but someone mentioned that it doesn't apply.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trixter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arno wrote:
I was a bit disappointed by the audio commentary for 2nd Reality because it has no connection to the running demo, it's like some commentary for itself.

This is because Jeremy from Blue 7 Media (who did the featurette) edited it together from the interview he was sent by FC. For not having actual commentary for the demo, I was extremely pleased with the results. I asked Trug to send commentary, but he said in as kind words as possible that he and Psi were uncomfortable speaking in front of a camera/microphone and was going to leave it to Abyss and the others.

Quote:

Another thing I dislike about the DVD is that the demos come too close to each other. One demo is hardly finished and the next scene is from another demo. It takes some time to realize that this was the ending of the last demo.
I would have preferred if the demos could be played one-by-one and then an option "Play All" (like in the Lord of the Rings SEE bonus DVDs).

I cut the demos to their very first and last frame, then I manually inserted a 2-second black/silence between them. So there is always 2 seconds between the demos. I experimented with longer and shorter delays, but 2 seconds felt right. So blame me Smile

The authoring tools we use for future volumes should allow for both "play everything" and "play once then return to menu" operation. Whether or not I can learn full-bore DVD authoring in my spare time remains to be seen, but trust me I'd like to see it as much as you so there's a good chance I'll learn it.

Quote:

I really loved 16-minute-featurette, this is really a great production. Done very well with lots of good information in it. BTW: Why was "3DMark 2001" running on the right PC when Trixter talks and not some "scene"-demo? Wink

I answer that in the commentary for the featurette Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine last week... It's great!! Thanks so much!

(Got here (Australia) much quicker than I thought it might!)
psonice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: thoughts on vol1. Reply with quote

Well, finally got my copy last week Smile Not had time for a thorough look, and only seen one easter egg, but heres a few comments:

Packaging is excellent, no need to change it
Menus etc are good, but it's a pain if you want to watch the last demo on the list. Perhaps an alternative menu with a list on 1 screen would work?
Commentary was nice, but sometimes a bit 'sparse'. But then, finding somebody who could talk non-stop through 4 hours of demos would be tough Wink
Would it be possible on future releases to convert demos with surround to dolby digital or dts?

For volume 2, I was thinking: do any 'consumer' recording devices have rgb recording? I'm thinking of DVRs and tv DVD recorders. I'd imagine that would be a nice feature for some of the shady far-east electronics makers, as it would allow copying dvds etc, and the quality would be good enough to transfer to pc and edit I suspect. Yes, just looked, there are quite a few, eg: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1404

Anyway, good work on the dvd, looking forward to the next one Smile
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: thoughts on vol1. Reply with quote

psonice wrote:
Perhaps an alternative menu with a list on 1 screen would work?

That's a great idea -- I'll try to remember that for volume 2.

Quote:

Would it be possible on future releases to convert demos with surround to dolby digital or dts?

Which demos have surround sound? Yes, it is possible (Dolby) but the only demo I ever knew to have "surround" was 2nd Reality and it was a cheezy hack at that.
psonice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, second reality i was thinking of Smile I remember there being a couple of others though, not too sure which. But then, considering the extra work it would probably involve, concentrate on that compact menu screen instead Wink
wf42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: congrats Reply with quote

i just got my copy of volume I today (super fast shipping btw) and i have to say that it's beyond words. naturally i started with the old school stuff: watching panic, paimen, square and saint again (and under good conditions too - not going too fast or crashing all the time) was surreal.

i didn't know what to expect with the newer demos since i haven't checked the scene in years now. boy, was i impressed - so much progress in so few years. i like the shift towards more attention to design and art in newer demos (although i'd also like to see more meaningful demos with a message in them - i.e. coma style, but that's another discussion altogether).

so basically my message is - keep up the good work. can't wait for a volume II _PC_ demos DVD - i do hope you're thinking about that (there was this awesome orange vs cncd demo that you might think of adding).

once again, congrats and keep the good stuff coming. i'm sure that many sceners are looking forward to more dvd's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: