www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MindCandy 1 repress

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: MindCandy 1 repress Reply with quote

Would it be possible, if you were to repress this, to remaster the DVD and go back and add subtitles to some of the commentary and interviews and whatnot?

I already own a copy of MC1 but I'd probably buy another copy if I could understand more of the comments. I've been watching MC2 with the comments on, it's pretty cool to see the subtitles so I can more easily follow what's being said and half-listen to the music and talking.

I don't know if it's a difficult/expensive thing to "revalidate" a DVD master image or something, or if it's just time-consuming to transcribe the comments. If it's just time-consuming, 'ell, we've been patiently waiting for years so a bit longer wouldn't hurt if the end result was a more polished MC1! Very Happy

Either way, thanks for all the work you've done to help preserve the demoscene and broaden its appeal.
phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, time consumption is the big factor. It took several solid days for Trixter to transcribe commentary for the 30 Amiga demos. Volume 1 has 42 demos to go through! Believe me, it's a exhausting process.

At this point, we would have to get an idea of just how many people would be interested in buying another copy, if it had subtitles. Several hundred might justify the effort, otherwise, we wouldn't see the value in doing it this late, because we're well past the selling peak of Volume 1.

I'm glad you got good use out of it in Volume 2.

-phoenix
Trixter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: MindCandy 1 repress Reply with quote

Monk wrote:

I don't know if it's a difficult/expensive thing to "revalidate" a DVD master image or something, or if it's just time-consuming to transcribe the comments. If it's just time-consuming, 'ell, we've been patiently waiting for years so a bit longer wouldn't hurt if the end result was a more polished MC1! Very Happy

Glad you liked both of them! Unfortunately, adding subtitles to MC1 would essentially mean re-authoring the entire disc. I'm not sure I still have the original assets (they're on DVD-RWs but I'm not sure the DVD-RWs are still readable), but since I was never happy with the quality of the first disc (it was all touched up using filters, before avisynth existed) so I'd probably refuse to do it on moral grounds Smile
Monk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curses! I was going to see if I could transcribe the text and if you'd be willing to throw it in (cut and paste?) if someone else did the tedious part.

But if the original assets are jacked up and you'd have to remaster the disc anyway and you weren't satisfied with the quality of the original...

...the answer is you'll be needing to make a "premium remastered collector's edition" of MC1 sometime!

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: