www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAQ

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> RHS - The Book and Other Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: FAQ Reply with quote

What is Restaurant Horror Stories?

Restaurant Horror Stories is a discussion forum which will hopefully gather enough posts to turn the results into a book of the same name. Electronic discussions should focus on horror stories that occur in and around the food industry (restaurants, grocery stores, the processing industry, shipping, etc.).

What about the Restaurant Horror Stories book?

THE IDEA

A couple years after reading the book Sabotage in the American Workplace I had an idea to do a similar book but decided that I wanted to concentrate on something everyone can relate to--food. However, being who I am I decide to stick with the darker side of the food industry and write about those horror stories some of us often hear but can't believe. A lot of people probably laugh these stories off as urban legends but little do they realize that this type of stuff goes on day in and day out. You can ignore it or, if you are like me, keep an ear out for the sickest of stories and make a note of them.

HOT OFF THE GRILL

Getting back to the Sabotage book for a moment, here's an example: In one restaurant story the waitress left some salads out for a couple hours instead of refrigerating them. Sure enough they spoiled and several customers got food poisoning. A lawsuit occurred and the owner ended up having to close his business. If you look long enough you'll find shows like Prime Time Live exposing the grocery store Food Lion for repackaging meats and unsanitary conditions. You will also find books like Eric Schlosser Fast Food Nation and Upton Sinclair's The Jungle which expose the what goes on behind the scenes with our food. The truth is out there; however, most of us probably don't want to know the truth or are too naïve to accept it.

IF THESE WALLS COULD TALK

The walls couldn't talk but they could SEE in Busted on the Job II. In this TV show they exposed: a guy pissing in the coffee pot, a dirty arm cleaning out a slurpee machine, meat on the floor, ashes in food products, and people urinating, spitting, and blowing snot onto meat. And this was caught ON CAMERA! Imagine what isn't caught on camera. I've posted a few of my field reports thus far and as I dig deeper and talk to more people I'll continue to share more stories.

CONTRIBUTIONS

I can't write the whole book alone. I have never worked in the food industry so all my stories are second hand. Here is where I'm hoping you will help. If you have a good story please post it or E-mail it to me and I'll make sure it gets posted (if you want that). You can even post anonymously if you so desire.

Those who contribute stories that are published will receive a book for free or at a great discount. In order to create a book I suspect about 200-300 stories will be needed. Anything relating to food will do--from the processing industry, to grocery stores, to the restaurant down the street. And PLEASE don't submit anything you know isn't true or is more than second hand information.

CHEERS

Sure, we can eat off the ground or even meat covered with maggots but who wants to? I don't like hair in my food anymore than the next guy. It also bothers me to see someone collect my money then make my sandwich without washing or using gloves but I'll eat it anyhow.

In a Seinfeld episode Jerry Seinfeld was bothered by Poppy not washing his hands before making Jerry and his date an elaborate meal. Hey, your peanut butter probably has some insect parts in it but what are you going to do about it? Nothing! You are SOL. However, you can be aware of what is going on and that is the purpose of this book. Of course, it is also intend it to be entertaining, funny, and most of all--gross.

Who may access Restaurant Horror Stories?

Anyone with access to the World Wide Web may access the Restaurant Horror Stories forum and read any of the posts. Users may post messages and create new subtopics.

How do I post anonymously?

Just enter whatever username you want. It will allow you to post your message as a guest user.

That is enough for now. I may post more later or if anyone has questions.

-dmw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> RHS - The Book and Other Information All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: