www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What will Volume 2 bring?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Next DVD... Reply with quote

Just an idea - but as there aren't many new Amiga demos, well, compared to the x86 scene anyway, is it worth doing a double sided dual layered disk that has one side Amiga ~2 hours and the other side C64 and some 'guests' like Wild demos or something? Might be interesting... What's the timetable as it stands?

.waffle
BFG @ amigascne.org
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a double-sided dual-layer disc -- I hear that they are very problematic and expensive to manufacture. Volume 1 was a DVD-10 (double-sided single-layer). If you thought it was double/dual, then I'm flattered Smile

The current proposal for volume 2 is a 100% Amiga DVD-9 (single-sided dual-layer). Demos from all throughout Amiga demoscene history would be included, not just classic or new.
Philippe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a 100% Amiga DVD.
Coool Cool
Calen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be so great to see 100% Amiga DVD, it really does deserve it.
As mentioned in a few other posts, to cover not just the great classics from the early/mid 90s but also some of the more recent classic demos to. eg: DeathTrail by Mankind (PPC)

Alot of the newer scene demos may have went unnoticed as the Amiga market began to shrink but there sure is some great demos out there of the past few years

Good luck with it and i Really look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
Joltman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Amiga output capture. Reply with quote

Trixter : possibly the best way to get an s-video capture of amiga output would be to run a genlock. External genlocks worked on all amigas via the 23 pin d-connector. There were many genlocks ranging from cheapy composite only (Rocgen) to more expensive units that would do s-video and / or YCrCb. Those more expensive one may be found quite cheaply these days. There were also internal genlocks, that went into the "video slot" but ofcourse they won't work on the computer in a keyboard style machines. Can't remeber many brands of genlock as I left the "Amiga" back in 1998.

The A520 had terrible video quality. The pal / ntsc encoder circuitry in them was basic at best.

As for what I think would be nice on the 2nd DVD (i bought a copy of the first) Amiga and C64 would be great. I have many memories of watching demos on both my C64 and Amigas (still have a cream PAL C64).

Also being from Australia I really don't care what video format the DVD is in as many of us in AU have multi standard TV's / DVD players. If there were two versions of the disc one with PAL and another NTSC then I'd buy both.
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the note about genlocks, but I'm afraid I haven't been able to find the holy grail of genlocks, the SuperGen SX, for sale anywhere on ebay or the web or Usenet. Based on what I've read, the SuperGen SX is the only unit that produces the kind of quality DVD warrants.

You are right about the A520 being crappy, but my brother and I are going to mod one as per these specifications and hopefully the quality will be much better. (For being a cheap solution, it is compatible with all Amigas. The scope readouts are very convincing!)
Joltman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: SuperGen SX Reply with quote

Just searched Ebay for "SuperGen SX" @ 11:15 AEST 14/03/2003 and found http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3406206092&category=4598
Trixter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the notice! Unfortunately, that particular SuperGen SX is NTSC, and we'll need the PAL version. But thanks for the link.
THCM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Genlock / Flickerfixer Reply with quote

Hi!

I've got an Amiga 4000 with a Flickerfixer/Scandoubler installed (The card was the most expensive one those days! ). The card has a very good SVHS Output. I downloaded some avi's from amiga-demos some time ago, but they had a bad quality. Inspired by these avi's i did some tests on my own! The Quality is really good with my machine using our Macrosystem AVIO video cutting solution!

Greetings, Uwe Anfang
www.odatec.de
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Genlock / Flickerfixer Reply with quote

THCM wrote:
The Quality is really good with my machine using our Macrosystem AVIO video cutting solution!

Uwe:

A few of us will be at Breakpoint if you would like to talk more/demonstrate your results. Perhaps this is something we can "borrow" to help us with the Amiga volume unless Jim can find one somewhere.

Getting all the older equipment may be a challenge

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gostar_baiter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of dromedarys....

One demo that MUST be on the amiga dvd is the one that ended the bob war (from the demons or the devils I think) which was basically just an animation. Perfect example of how demo sceners uses tricks and 'sleight of hand' to make things imitate the real deal. Also, it brings back memories. Wondering how on EARTH they did it, until you realize they cheated, and cheated with flair Smile
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, "infinite bobs"? Tracking down the first instance of that may be challenging...
THCM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: beakpoint Reply with quote

HI dmw!

We'll also go to breakpoint! Perhaps we can meet there!

Bye!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just visited the www.demodvd.org site to find out that preproduction of volume 2 has begun. 100% Amiga!

Very cool news.

Maybe you can have a peek at my website (Amiga Demoscene Archive at http://ada.planet-d.net) for a glimpse on which demos are available, especially from after 1994. Most of the best demos are there, at least i think so. And it does give an idea with all the screenshots. You can select for example to view the demo list sorted by AGA, demos and releasedate in one go to see more recent demos.

If you need any help, i'll help if i can.

I am quite curieus to see which demos will arrive at the candidate list.

Once the poll is available, maybe this can be posted to a couple of Amiga sites to get the word out. You never know that people will be able and willing to help on the project.

Technically speaking, is there a possibity to include PPC demos? (allthough the real groundbreaking PPC releases are intros).

Do you already have an idea on what hardware the demos will be captured (68060 a possibility?).

z5/A.D.A.
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! We will probably be talking intimately at some point. Smile To answer your questions:

PPC: Only if we can get some hardware. I was impressed by New Dawn Fades, but Amiga hardware is rare enough in the states without trying to find a PAL PPC machine. We are definitely looking to borrow machines, because to buy them would cost crazy amounts of cash.

68060: Again, whatever we can get our hands on. Getting hold of a stock A4000 (68040, right?) is probably possible, but again we need to make sure we can get PAL machines.

The goal is to capture on the *right* machine for each demo. For that we'll look to get at least an A500, A1200, and A4000. (preferably with various levels of acceleration that can be disabled via a toggle switch or similar).

I already have a US A500 and A1200. I get NTSC out of them. Someone told me that if I boot up holding down both buttons and selecting 50Hz I will get PAL -- not true with US Amigas. I do get a PAL refresh rate, but an NTSC color signal Sad So we will need new hardware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: