www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What will Volume 2 bring?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... I dunno... Maybe you could ask on some amiga
boards ? I really think you shouldn't drop the amiga
for the next DVD...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixter wrote:
I know of someone who could probably help me with a device. But here's another problem: Amiga demos are all PAL... but only Euro users can play PAL. So to be compatible with the rest of the world, I should make an NTSC disc... but that will degrade the quality of the capture somewhat.

It's not an easy problem to solve, and the only proper solution is a PAL disc for euro users and an NTSC disc for everyone else. Which I'm not looking forward to. Which means that maybe the next volume will be PC as well Wink

Well, I certainly wouldn't mind another volume of PC. Toasted was always one of my favorites and I was sorry to see it cut. See what kind of geographic distribution your volume one sales have, and consider making a PAL volume of Amiga demos if your european sales are high enough to justify it. You could still make it available to US customers with strong warnings that it will only play on computer DVD players (afaik they all should be able to handle PAL without problems, just recommend they set their display to a mode with 100hz refresh for best results). Wink
phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would be dumb of us not to make an NTSC disc for Amiga, because most of us live in the US and would like to watch it on a TV. But then, it would also be dumb not to make a PAL disc, if it looks better and most of the Amiga volume buyers would come from Europe anyway.

Needless to say, it's going to take more time to make an Amiga volume than another PC volume. We'll post some kind of survey early next year, listing the various difficulties, to get a feel of where we'll go next.

-andy
KithKanan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenix wrote:
Well, it would be dumb of us not to make an NTSC disc for Amiga, because most of us live in the US and would like to watch it on a TV. But then, it would also be dumb not to make a PAL disc, if it looks better and most of the Amiga volume buyers would come from Europe anyway.

Needless to say, it's going to take more time to make an Amiga volume than another PC volume. We'll post some kind of survey early next year, listing the various difficulties, to get a feel of where we'll go next.

-andy

Agreed *sigh* now that I think about it I'd probably order both NTSC and PAL versions, after all I have to have something to show up on friends' projection TVs. Its times like this that I really wish DVDs and TVs were as nice as the original ST/AMIGA monitors and connections -- RGB in, can handle 50/60hz, and have fairly easily adjustable v-height.

I'm lucky enough to have a PAL C64, so I get to see first-hand how nice modern '64 demos look and sound. I just wish I could use it with anything besides my TV-tuner card.
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit OT, I apologize: Where did you find a PAL C64 in the US? And do you need a power converter to make it work?

I would love an actual PAL C64 but I rarely see one on ebay, and when I do the shipping is horrible or it's non-working, etc.
KithKanan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixter wrote:
This is a bit OT, I apologize: Where did you find a PAL C64 in the US? And do you need a power converter to make it work?

I would love an actual PAL C64 but I rarely see one on ebay, and when I do the shipping is horrible or it's non-working, etc.

It found it on an ebay auction from the UK, used "buy it now" and paid 20GBP for the C64 (and 30GBP for the shipping that took 6 weeks), at the time I think cost to me came to around $70. A bit expensive, but not lethal, I decided it was worth it to me. For power, I'm just using the 'black brick' from a US C64 -- it seems to work fine, all the lines coming in are DC except the 12VAC, and I think that was mainly used to power the cassette port (but I could be wrong).

Downsides:
- since the signal is true PAL, it appears black in white on NTSC TVs even if they can handle 50hz. Works fine using s-video to my TV tuner card running DScaler, though.
- my Super Snapshot cart I had for my C128 is NTSC only, so I'm stuck back in the stone age of un-accelerated disk access.

I haven't gotten every PAL demo to work, but I've managed to run the large majority of them without any problems. I blame the others on my 1541, which may be badly in need of alignment.
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a US "black brick" is a great piece of news, thank you. Now I won't have to worry about power... just obtaining one Smile
HD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth lookig into:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2078890782
Trixter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KithKanan wrote:
Its times like this that I really wish DVDs and TVs were as nice as the original ST/AMIGA monitors and connections -- RGB in, can handle 50/60hz, and have fairly easily adjustable v-height.

Actually... DVD players are perfectly capable of 50/60Hz, component in, progressive-scan, and the same resolution needed for demos. So it is theoretically possible to represent things perfectly with no loss other than compression.

Of course, this will not be the case if we capture all Amiga and C64 demos analog through the craptastic composite connection instead of rendering EMU output. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually... DVD players are perfectly capable of 50/60Hz, component in, progressive-scan, and the same resolution needed for demos. So it is theoretically possible to represent things perfectly with no loss other than compression.

Of course, this will not be the case if we capture all Amiga and C64 demos analog through the craptastic composite connection instead of rendering EMU output. Sad

C64 puts out s-video natively. Well, I should say "seperate Y/C" since the s-video connector didn't exist back in 1982. All you need is the proper adaptor from C64 pinout and it looks pretty nice. Maybe not quite as nice as EMU output, or maybe nicer since C64 demos weren't designed for pixel-perfect RGB Confused
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea where I can find that pinout? If C64 truly seperates luma and chroma, then that completely solves the emulation question.

And thanks for the info!
kieran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search and found this:

C64 Audio/Video:

(Plug-side)
bluenuht

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:30 am    Post subject: I vote 100% amiga Reply with quote

I vote 100% amiga !!

i long to see the old school amiga stuff in DVD quailty and no emulator worries.

P.s. bought the first one just waiting for delivery
Trixter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieran wrote:
I did a search and found this:

Kick ass, thanks! Based on that, it is trivial for me to wire up a C64->S-Video cable and capture C64 perfectly. Excellent!

I also found a ready supply of PAL C64s at www.ebay.co.uk -- they're selling for 10 euros or less most of the time, so I think C64 won't be a problem when the time comes. Thanks again to everyone who provided me info.
Dexo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: PC Demos is great Reply with quote

I don't no anything about amiga demos, i have join the scene at a time there the PC was dominating the scene, so i will like to se some amiga demos but i am not surre i will bye the dvd becouse i have no relation to the amiga scene not like i have to the PC scene (i was almost busting out in tears then i so "Panic" and "Second Reality" ) it was these 2 demos the get myself to start my owne crew (Lost) so for my well the pc demo / intros be the best contenst for VOL 2.

B.t.w Great work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: