www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PAL and NTSC details -- Yes, MindCandy will play in Europe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trixter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject: PAL and NTSC details -- Yes, MindCandy will play in Europe Reply with quote

From http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.19

"...All DVD players sold in PAL countries play both kinds of discs. These multi-standard players partially convert NTSC to a 60-Hz PAL (4.43 NTSC) signal. The player uses the PAL 4.43-MHz color subcarrier encoding format but keeps the 525/60 NTSC scanning rate. Most modern PAL TVs can handle this "pseudo-PAL" signal. A few multi-standard PAL players output true 3.58 NTSC from NTSC discs, which requires an NTSC TV or a multi-standard TV. Some players have a switch to choose 60-Hz PAL or true NTSC output when playing NTSC discs. There are a few standards-converting PAL players that convert from a NTSC disc to standard PAL output. Proper standards conversion requires expensive hardware to handle scaling, temporal conversion, and object motion analysis. Because the quality of conversion in DVD players is poor, using 60-Hz PAL output with a compatible TV provides a better picture. (Sound is not affected by video conversion.)

...Bottom line: NTSC discs (with Dolby Digital audio) play on over 95% of DVD installations worldwide."

So, even though the disc is NTSC, any European user with equipment less than five years old should be able to play it.
pmu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim is correct (of course ;-) ) about playing the disc on PAL TVs.

I tested the disc on my old JVC TV (PAL, 4:3, 50Hz, 8years old) and it plays well. Because of the 50Hz frequency some parts show some stuttering (especially visible with scrollers).

Most of the old TVs (up to 10y old) in Europe should support NTSC, only possibility on some TVs is that it doesn't play in color, but that's rare.

I also tested the disc in some shops, it played fine everywhere, but a sidenote here is that all equipment is brand new.

You can probably check on the Internet if your TV supports NTSC. Good luck and enjoy the DVD.

Regards,

Pim
-- Stony/Hornet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Msg to Stony Reply with quote

Hey Pim!

I hate to abuse this forum for a personal note but I was unable to retrieve your email address from neither your profile or hornet.org.

How great to see your name once again on this forum after all these years. Do send me an email (me@joostbrugman.com). I'd love to catch up! Also, I'd like to ask you a thing.

Best regards,

Joost 'Dope/Spaceballs' Brugman
Sesse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PS2 and TV can handle it very well, obviously. :-) The only part that stutters seems to be the very first "spaceship flying into the horizon before the big boom" scene of Second Reality -- is this a Second Reality problem (I can't remember seeing that before), a capture problem or a DVD-player/TV problem? :-)
Trixter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd reality problem. For some reason, all the machines I ran it on had that stutter, so it seems to be in the demo.
googlorant0801

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember it from before as well. Maybe it's just a bit they never quite got right.
Arno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: NTSC / PAL60 Reply with quote

Hi!

I just wanted to add that even though it is possible to play NTSC-discs in PAL-countries, the quality of the picture isn't quite as good as a PAL-DVD.
Many TVs introduce black lines into the picture, which looks a bit like "one line correct - one line black - one line correct"... I don't know the name for it, but you'll get my point.

When I get my MindCandy-DVD (sadly one of the repress, so I'll have to wait another month...), I'll see how it looks like at home.

What I really want to say is, that you should REALLY consider doing a PAL-release of the second volume - especially when there's a lot Amiga/C64 on it, which is PAL stuff anyway. It will give the perfect experience for the European users, which are like you said the majority of your customers. If it's possible, a double release (NTSC for USA/Japan/... and PAL for Europe) would be perfect.

- Arno
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: NTSC / PAL60 Reply with quote

Arno wrote:

What I really want to say is, that you should REALLY consider doing a PAL-release of the second volume - especially when there's a lot Amiga/C64 on it, which is PAL stuff anyway. It will give the perfect experience for the European users, which are like you said the majority of your customers. If it's possible, a double release (NTSC for USA/Japan/... and PAL for Europe) would be perfect.

That is the plan at the moment. Two versions of the next DVD.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nebraus222

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: NTSC / PAL60 Reply with quote

Arno wrote:
Hi!

- Arno

Hey don't forget the Australia & New Zealand are PAL people, and so is South America from memory. Region 4 for those know don't know.

So if you make a PAL DVD please bear it in mind..
Trixter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any PAL DVD we do will be region-free, so no worries mate Smile
Sesse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're at all this field/frame stuff -- how do 100Hz TVs (talking PAL here, NTSC probably have 120Hz TVs?) work? Display every field twice, or something?
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would probably display every frame twice. I've never encountered a 100Hz PAL tele, but I do know they exist. I have never heard of a 120Hz NTSC television, though.
Sesse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every frame twice? In other words: field 1, field 2, field 1, field 2, field 3, field 4, field 3, field 4? Sounds like that would cause an incredible amount of jitter to me... :-) (MindCandy looks smooth on my 100Hz PAL TV, but I don't know what it actually does with the 60Hz PAL signal from my PS2... :-) )
nebraus222

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would like to know exactly hw the 100 HZ system works, it's one of the high end feature here for expensive digital TV...
Trixter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to write every field twice. Or line doubled, maybe. I honestly don't know; I haven't researched it yet because 1. I don't have PAL and 2. You can't make 50/60Hz 480p DVDs right now anyway so it's beyond my scope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: