www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mindcandy on xbox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robotriot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: mindcandy on xbox Reply with quote

hi,
i got the mindcandy dvd today and i was testing it on my xbox first, but i realized that the video seems to be jerking in some places. it's especially obvious with the opening screens in front of the title menu. afterwards i tested it on my pc's dvd drive, were it ran all smoothly.

does this mean the xbox' dvd player sucks and has problems with the ntsc conversion or something? at least it's the only dvd that has such problems so far on my xbox.

anyway, great dvd (i found only one easteregg so far, how many are there?), i just ordered another one as a present ^^ hope to see some amiga stuff on future releases.
Trixter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very possible that the jerkiness is due to the xbox's PAL<-->NTSC conversion -- if it played okay on your PC then that is probably what is going on. I tested it on an NTSC xbox, but not a PAL one, so short of an xbox firmware upgrade or something it may not be fixable. Sad Do you have a dedicated set-top DVD player you could try?
robotriot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, can't try it anywhere else :/ would be interesting though if somebody else had a pal xbox to test the dvd there.
robotriot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i just found some information, it's indeed the xbox' fault, it can't play ntsc dvds properly (and the other way round, so you might test it if you find a pal dvd somewhere :). i only found information about that issue in german though, if you need further info you'll have to search for yourself :)
Trixter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the (unfortunate Sad news; I'm adding it to our website-in-progress so that others can know about it.
.mikex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An XBOX in NTSC mode plays PAL DVDs jerky, and the other way around.

If you have a modded XBOX, you just need to get Enigmah Video Mode Select CD v2, which will let you switch your XBOX between PAL and NTSC mode.

Cheers.
Sesse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like my choice to get a PS2 instead of an Xbox was right, then =)
googlorant0801

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is weird since PAL Xboxs have a 60hz mode built in.

Call me "asking a dumb question" but have you tried the NTSC DVD in with it in PAL-60 mode[/u]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudley wrote:
Call me "asking a dumb question" but have you tried the NTSC DVD in with it in PAL-60 mode

i tried it just now, but it didn't make any difference (the settings said pal60 was activated) ... maybe my tv doesn't support pal60? although wouldn't i be getting some weird results on the screen then?
googlorant0801

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought so. I'd try it myself but I'm relying on a TV card for the X right now and I know that screws up PAL-60.
niko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have xbox v1.1 PAL and mindcandy playback is jerky..I don't have any other ntsc discs to try but this is unacceptable from M$.. they don't even like the idea to install a mod chip

niko
metamorphosis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an excellent Xbox-modder at work and he has made a mod that allows the Xbox to boot up in NTSC-mode from the start. If we do that, the playback is smooth as silk. Just a note. Smile
babaz

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everybody
my standalone DVD player is (unfortunately) a Xbox PAL 1.1 (modded)
as anyone said, i experience jerky playback with MC (btw, GREAaAaT Piece of DVD dudes!)...

i' do have enighma mode switcher, and setting it to NTSC allows a smooth playback (but on my TV -rather old- true NTSC mode is color-less, so quite unusable u know)

i was thinking of the infamous PAL-60 mode - they swear the vast majority of TV sets out there can do PAL-60 ... using M$ dashboard i setted it ON so i think the screen would have gone OUT immediately if my TV set couldn't handle it, i am right or what? in the end my idea is that this PAL-60 mode is activated by software code, to explain better: xbox is setted to PAL-60, TV set can do it, but it's the software that triggers it!!! and AFAIK DVDx2 (the hacked dvd player one can use instead of the dongle thing!) simply cannot support PAL-60 mode ... if this assuming is right, it's a damn shame Smile

would love to hear more on this issue and about PAL-60 workarounds!
Wink
babaz

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to bother, but i'd really hear some more experiences or workarounds (if any) from other people... xbox pal really no one else??? Wink
rc55

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it in both Pal 50 and 60 with an unmodded 1.1, still jerky.

I'm installing an Executor 2 Pro mod chip soon, so I'll come back and tell you how I get on!

Ruairi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: