www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MC won't load on my PC's DVD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jcl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: MC won't load on my PC's DVD Reply with quote

Heya, I got my mindcandy a few days back, and I've watched it succesfully on both my set-top players (Pioneer and CyberHome), yet I can't get it to load on my PC's LG DVD drive, on neither side.

I have no problems with other DVD's (single-sided movies, or the double-sided Wing Commander [Game] DVD) on this drive, just with MindCandy. Do you know what could be wrong? Maybe a firmware update (if i can find one)?

Btw, congrats for the DVD, it's great!

- Jcl / Unknown Productions
robotriot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird, it worked fine on 2 lg dvd drives here. what exact model is yours?
Trixter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: MC won't load on my PC's DVD Reply with quote

Jcl wrote:

I have no problems with other DVD's (single-sided movies, or the double-sided Wing Commander [Game] DVD) on this drive, just with MindCandy.

Double-sided Wing Commander game DVD? I'm very curious, what is this?
Jcl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: MC won't load on my PC's DVD Reply with quote

Trixter wrote:
Double-sided Wing Commander game DVD? I'm very curious, what is this?

Wing Commander: Prophecy (I think this was the title, I can't find the DVD now). It was a double-sided DVD (data DVD though) game which had a lot of MPEG (only hardware decoded, you needed a Decoder card) video where you had to choose stuff before getting into combat.

It came with my first DVD drive (which was a Creative DxR2 including MPEG decoding card).

About the LG model, i'll post it when i go to my office (it's where this drive is), not sure about it right now.
Jcl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: MC won't load on my PC's DVD Reply with quote

btw, the Wing Commander game was released somewhere around 1997, DVD version around 1998 IIRC, don't try to look for it as a recent title or something Cool
Trixter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the game but never knew there was a special DVD version of it. My search begins! Thanks for the info!
Jcl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: MC won't load on my PC's DVD Reply with quote

Sorry, I was pretty busy for a while and couldn't answer. The exact model of my LG DVD drive according to Windows' Device Manager is "LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B".

I tried to find a firmware update for it, but couldn't find any (not that I looked very deeply into that anyway).

Anyone else having problems with MindCandy and this DVD model?
Jcl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: MC won't load on my PC's DVD Reply with quote

Jcl wrote:
I tried to find a firmware update for it, but couldn't find any (not that I looked very deeply into that anyway).

Ok, I found the firmware, updated it, and now MindCandy works perfectly... seems the old one did have some problems with some DVD's =)
Wizz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: MC won't load on my PC's DVD Reply with quote

The wing commander DVD game is called Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom. There are two DVD versions, one is single sided (simply the CD version copied over so you need not switch multiple discs) and a double sided DVD that has high res mpeg video. I think the DVD versions were Win95 while the original CD release was DOS only.
Trixter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be looking to collect both versions Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixter wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I'll be looking to collect both versions Smile

The Wing Commander DVD needs the Creative decoder card to play. If you managed to get it to work without the card, please do tell. There are several people that would be very happy at www.wcnews.com Smile
Trixter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it to work just fine using my Sigma RealMagic Hollywood+ card (still on sale at Sigma Designs). I had to run it in Windows 98, but it output the MPEG-2 via the card and it worked fine.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, when I install it without my dxr2 in the machine I get a "unable to find file X:\vobx\whatever.vob" it is the correct path and all. Maybe any hardware decoder card work? Can you try it on a machine with no HW card? Pretty please? Wink
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't work without a hardware decoder card. Some people have reported limited success on Usenet with PowerDVD XP but the results are very undesirable (crash, entire sections not played, etc.)

Creative funded the conversion so it "should" only work with their hardware card. Guess what? Their card is a repackaged Sigma Designs RealMagic Hollywood+ card, which you can pick up for $40 (or $80 direct from Sigma Designs). I love my card (although I run it to a TV because the VGA passthrough degrades poorly at high refresh rates).

BTW, I got the very same error you reported in XP *with* the hardware card -- in Windows XP. Switching to Windows 98 fixed the problem.

Someday when I have a boatload of time (HAH!) I would like to edit all the video together into a little mini-movie.
gostar_baiter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well. I still have my dxr2 card around, AND a free slot in my machine, but still. Was hoping to avoid installing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: