www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slashdot effect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Slashdot effect Reply with quote

Whoa, publicity... =)

Did the Slashdot link sell you any extra DVDs? Are you on enough sales now to make a volume 2? Just wondering :-)
Tomcat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about the MindCandy DVD the first time on Slashdot, because I am not so much into the demo scene as I probably should be... Smile

Anyway, the Slashdot link got you two orders from me (I asked all my friends but unfortunately could only convince one to buy it).

People can bitch about how bad Slashdot is all day, but it's still read by thousands of people daily, and it's the perfect place for promoting geek items like this DVD.
gruszic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 1 sale here. I pop in and out of contact with the scene so I had heard of the project, but not in a while. More than a year and a half ago IIRC when Trixter was still in the process of figuring out how the heck to capture it all. Less than a minute after it hit slashdot I was at paypal. Had I known it was progressing still I would have thrown money at them long ago.
Trixter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Slashdot mention had a really fantastic effect. We won't know just how great until Dan gets back from CES, but it was extremely positive.

Tomcat wrote that Slashdot is a great way to promote things -- I agree, but GETTING them to list your story is like pulling teeth. I submitted a story a while back about MobyGames supporting Linux, and it was rejected 10 mintues after I tried to post it Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's because it's done mostly on whim. it depends on what taco et al. think is interesting to them in the queue (or what's been submitted a thousand times), set it up to post 15 or so of those stories progressively over the next few hours, and delete the rest of the queue regardless of value. it sounds stupid, but it's really to only reasonable way to do things when you're getting thousands of submissions/day.

newsforge is more likely to post your stories, but it's pretty much "linux only" (the moby submission would probably have been approved) whereas /. is a bit more "general geek."

-- plix
Arno

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got a mail from MAZ (the German distributor of Mindcandy):
due to an extreme rush after an article on slashdot.org the first pressing
(2000 pcs.) of the Mindcandy DVD has been sold out from one day to another
on January 10th, this means: most of the orders of the past 4 days can't be
delivered at the moment Sad There were about 800 worldwide orders within 24
hours, nobody could foresee that ... The repress will start as soon as
possible, all new orders will approx. be delivered by beginning of February.

I will get the DVD's straight from the pressing plant, I'll tell you the
DHL tracking number and link as soon as they shipped the DVD's.

And I ordered the DVD without reading Slashdot Sad
Actually, I was even on the list at demodvd.org but never got an email that it was released. I found it out by visiting the site again....

Well, I'll have to wait. The only thing which annoys me, is that I already sent the money to MAZ....
Sesse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800? Holy crap! :-)
metamorphosis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Go MindCandy! ..and GO promotion! ..and GO third pressing! :)
dmw
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Slashdot effect Reply with quote

Arno wrote:
Actually, I was even on the list at demodvd.org but never got an email that it was released. I found it out by visiting the site again....

We lost about 50 e-mails due to a site crash. I tried my best to e-mail the rest. We sent out an e-mail to about 700 people and got perhaps 75% or more orders. Maybe you were on the tail end of the list?

Third repress?

Technically that is correct but only ONE copy of the first pressing exist. The rest were destroyed due to a manufacturing defect. That delayed the pre-release by a little more than one week.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
maz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: sorry :) Reply with quote

Arno wrote:
Well, I'll have to wait. The only thing which annoys me, is that I already sent the money to MAZ....

There was no way for me to know whether somebody ordered after reading the slashdot article or without reading it, or to place a "sold out" warning before it happened. Believe me, as positive as the boom was, I didn't like the situation to be not able to deliver what people payed already.
jtfoe1974

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: sorry :) Reply with quote

maz wrote:
Believe me, as positive as the boom was, I didn't like the situation to be not able to deliver what people payed already.

Hey - no offense taken. I know that you felt uncomfortable about it, too... It was just bad luck. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: