www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound hardware used for 2nd reality

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Sound hardware used for 2nd reality Reply with quote

Thanks a LOT, this DVD is amazing, it's been 4 or 5 years since I last saw & heared some of the demos like Crystal Demo II !

I was wondering what hardware was used to record music for 2nd Reality (FC): was it a GUS ? I used to have a SB16 and some tunes felt a little different.

btw, still about 2nd Reality, were the credits/greetings (end of demo) removed because of lack of space on the DVD ?
Trixter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it!

All audio was recorded from a GUS, then later remastered by rendering out the .S3Ms as 16-bit 48KHz .wav files, which were then pre-processed for typical DVD soundtracks. Second Reality was one of the few exceptions, because every single rendering player I tried (xmplay, modplug, etc.) rendered a version that had a significant problem in the third part (right around the plasma cubes, IIRC), so for that 3rd section, I cleaned up the original GUS audio as best I could (light noise reduction).

The Panic soundtrack is 1% GUS -- I faded in the F-U-T-U-R-E C-R-E-W "whooshing" sounds from the GUS as they are not rendered out when you play the original S3M.
S_J32us

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trixter wrote:

All audio was recorded from a GUS, then later remastered by rendering out the .S3Ms as 16-bit 48KHz .wav files, which were then pre-processed for typical DVD soundtracks. Second Reality was one of the few exceptions, because every single rendering player I tried (xmplay, modplug, etc.) rendered a version that had a significant problem in the third part (right around the plasma cubes, IIRC), so for that 3rd section, I cleaned up the original GUS audio as best I could (light noise reduction).

The Panic soundtrack is 1% GUS -- I faded in the F-U-T-U-R-E C-R-E-W "whooshing" sounds from the GUS as they are not rendered out when you play the original S3M.

I didn't imagine so much work had been put in it ! Maybe you should release a "Making-of" DVD ? Smile

And what about the greetings in Second Reality (and, generally speaking in other demos) ? Removed because of space (I guess this has been discussed in the survey) ?
phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsk tsk, Jim.. Panic did not support GUS, you must've used an SB! (or SBOS? hehe)
Trixter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After remastering 46 demos, my mind is going. Andy is right: The audio out was actually a real Sound Blaster Pro, so that I could get the stereo.

I also should have mentioned that all audio was recorded from the original demo as a timecode reference. Meaning:

1. Video and audio recorded
2. Video reworked using audio as a reference
3. Video editing is frozen (no more changes)
4. Audio is remastered using video as a reference.

That's how I did every single oldskool demo except RipRap. For the more modern demos, only about 50% needed to be screwed with in some way.

As for the credits and greetings, they were removed from all demos for time constraints and consistency, except for Cronologia because I felt the demo effect behind them should have been preserved, and also Further / Moppi, because cutting out the last 10 seconds didn't accomplish anything except cut the tune off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: