www.fusecon.com Forum Index www.fusecon.com
Fusecon General Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

impressive high quality...

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: impressive high quality... Reply with quote

WOW! As an employee at a hifi store, and salesman of high qulity/high end sound and visual systems here in Bergen/Norway, I've had the opertunity to run this disc in our store after closing time at full blast on high end surroundsound equipment...(31000$ price range) and man what a nice experience Very Happy .
The connected subwoofers were working overtime!

I've seen both bad/low quality DVD and Laserdiscs as well as high quality, and Mindcandy is definetly one of the best. Using DLP projector and High end video cables, I can't say I've seen any video noise at all. Impressive!

As for the sound, side one is outstanding. I see that musicians have learned alot since the old days. Guess this is also has something to do with the fact that softsynths and programs like Reason has taken over for trackers. The sound on side 2 is good, but suffers from low sample quality on some tracks. Guess these are 8bit samples upsampled to 16 in the Gus Card. But all in all, considering what quality the rawmaterial has, the quality is nice. I enjoy this DVD tremendously.

I've watched it both in stereo and THX 6.1 surround. On some tracks, the system utilized the rear channels, feks in Second Reality. This is due to the fact that in the old Dolby surround pro logic, the surround channels were mixed down in the Left/right stereo channel, out of phase, so the prologic decoder could extract them. So even if the DVD is only Dolby Digital 2.0, the original stereo/prologic effects will be preserved.

Strangely, while setting the Amplifier in THX 6.1 mode, some demos (like Lapsus - Maturefurk), there was almost only sound in the centre channel and subwoofer. This would imply that the track is originally in mono, since sounds that are exactly equal in both left and right channels are extracted to the centre channel.... anyway, I switched to stereo here and mmmm... Smile

Started the wait for the amiga dvd....
Trixter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have no idea how happy this makes me! Thank you so much for your perspective -- it means a lot. I literally did all production in my basement Smile and your testimoney lets me know that I got all the technical issues right. Of course, *I* can see noise and problems, but I'm biased Wink I know where to look Wink

Side 2 (oldskool side) DEFINITELY has video noise in certain areas, so please dismiss those -- I didn't have the budget for a $5000 DSC-1024HD to do the scan conversion, so some areas of Show and Crystal Dream II have fairly significant noise Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fusecon.com Forum Index -> MindCandy DVD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: